Tajiks Caught In Russian Crossfire Over Pilot Jailings

Zulfiya Bobojonova and her two teenage sons haven’t left their rented Moscow apartment for nearly a week.

«There are rumors about Russian police detaining Tajiks in the streets and deporting them back to Tajikistan,» says the shopkeeper, who hails from a small city in northern Tajikistan but has worked legally in the Russian capital for the past nine years. «Russian television channels talk about Tajik-migrant issues every night, and it’s just adding to our fears.»

In fact, the reports of migrant sweeps in Russia targeting Tajik nationals are more than rumors. In the week since a Tajik court sentenced a Russian and an Estonian pilot to prison sentences for their unauthorized refueling stops en route from Kabul, Russian officials have rounded up hundreds of Tajik immigrants for possible expulsion.

«Tajiks don’t dare go outside or freely walk in streets right now,» Bobojonova tells RFE/RL. «Everybody is in hiding inside their homes. I didn’t even allow my 13-year-old son to go to school. What if the police detain him, find us too, and deport all of us? People are afraid. Nobody’s going to work.»

The pilots, working for a Russian air-transport company, were handed jail sentences on November 8 of 10 1/2 years each for arms trafficking, among other charges. Their aircraft were also seized.

Afghan authorities impound another airplane with ties to the company at the center of the Tajik-Russian row

The Tajik ruling prompted outrage among Russian politicians and commentators, and put the some 1 million Tajiks living in Russia — many of them migrant laborers who depend on seasonal work there to make a living — in the line of fire.

‘Humiliation’ At Hands Of Authorities

Hundreds of Tajiks have been arrested in Moscow alone, at least 12 have been deported, and many others are awaiting rulings on their possible deportation. Russia’s top public-health inspector, Gennady Onishchenko, has suggested that a full ban on Tajik migrants should be considered because many have been diagnosed with HIV or tuberculosis.

«I work here legally, I have a work and residency permit,» says Usmon Numonov, a Tajik construction engineer in St. Petersburg. «But none of this matters for Russian police now; they are targeting Tajiks regardless of their papers.»

Numonov, too, is too frightened to leave home.

He says that even if police find your documents are in order, «they extort any money you have and then let you go.» He calls the treatment «humiliating.»

«I told my employers that if your government really wants Tajiks to leave, they should tell us openly and officially, ‘We don’t need you anymore, you have to leave Russia.’ They should give us some timeframe — let’s say six months or a year, so we could all return home — without insulting people like they’re doing now.»

Lost Income

Like so many other Central Asian migrant laborers, Tajiks in Moscow are mostly engaged in menial work, loading goods or selling vegetables in bazaars or washing cars.

Dzanish, a Kyrgyz migrant worker at a Moscow automobile factory, says his Tajik colleagues have gone into hiding in because they were being singled out by police for document checks.

«They are picking them all up and deporting them,» Dzanish says. «I’ve seen it with my own eyes. They pick them up at metro stations and bang, they’re deported.»

Tajikistan’s migration chief, Safiullo Devonaev, has said that some 2,000 Tajiks have been deported from Russia since January, a number he says is «much lower than last year.» But he acknowledges that the «detention of Tajik nationals in Russia has increased recently.»

Waiting It Out

The Tajik Embassy in Moscow has set up a hot line for migrants seeking help or information.

Bobojonova and other Tajik migrants recognize that staying indoors to avoid the police is just a temporary solution. They want the crisis to be resolved between Moscow and Dushanbe as soon as possible.

For her eldest son, who loads goods and pushes carts at a Moscow bazaar, not going to work means no income. And that means no money to buy food, pay the rent, or send home to Bobojonova’s elderly mother, who lives in the northern Tajik town of Konibodom.

Like many families in Tajikistan, she is almost entirely dependent on remittances sent from Russia.

«Our eyes are glued to the television to hear any developments,» Bobojonova says. «I’ve never been interested in politics; now, I’m following news programs. We’ve all become like hostages.»

RFE/RL correspondent Tom Balmforth contributed to this report from Moscow

Farangis Najibullah, RFE/RL

Источник: http://www.rferl.org/content/tajiks_caught_russian_crossfire_over_jailed_pilots/24393030.html

OSCE media freedom representative on visit to Tajikistan welcomes co-operation, offers assistance to strengthen pluralism, reform legislation

The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Dunja Mijatović, during her official three-day visit to Tajikistan starting today offered to the country’s authorities assistance and expertise of her Office to promote media pluralism and reform legislation.

During her visit Mijatović met with Foreign Minister Hamrokhon Zarifi, Interior Minister Abdurahim Kahorov, members of the Parliament Olim Salimzoda and Akramsho Felaliev, the Head of the Committee on Television and Radio under the Government of Tajikistan Asadullo Rahmonov, the Head of Tajik Communication Service Beg Zuhurov, media non-governmental organizations and journalists.

“I appreciate the fact that Tajikistan’s doors are open for me and my Office’s expertise and assistance,” said Mijatović, who was invited by Tajikistan Foreign Minister. “My visit is very timely: legal reforms in the media sphere are planned and the preparations to switch to digital broadcasting are underway. I had constructive and fruitful discussions with the authorities and trust that steps to promote media pluralism in broadcasting and print media will be taken.”

Mijatović offered her Office’s assistance to reform the Mass Media Law and the Law on Broadcasting in Tajikistan to reflect the OSCE commitments as well as the upcoming digitalization, which she called “a good opportunity to develop Tajikistan’s broadcast sector”.

“Both state and privately-owned media should benefit from the upcoming digital switchover,” Mijatović added. “For the sake of pluralism, the state should gradually separate from its monopoly in the nationwide broadcasting TV. The time has come for a nationwide private broadcaster, and for more private regional and local print media.”

Referring to the recent civil law suits against print media filed by high-level governmental officials, the Representative called on the authorities to decriminalize defamation and make the civil court system fair for media defendants. “High demands in compensation in civil cases have nearly the same chilling effect on free media as criminal convictions,” Mijatović stressed.

“It is crucial for the productive public discourse, that public officials have a higher degree of tolerance and do not view criticism in the media as attacks against their personal rights.” She added that the Media Council, established in Tajikistan two years ago with assistance from the OSCE, could serve as the platform to adjudicate conflicts on the journalistic materials.

Mijatović said she was looking forward to conducting several joint activities agreed with the Tajik authorities, including workshops on interaction between media and governmental spokespersons, as well as law enforcement professionals, which would be implemented together with the OSCE Office in Dushanbe. She also expressed her appreciation to the authorities for their readiness to have the upcoming Central Asia Media Conference in Dushanbe on 29 and 30 November this year.

Ambassador Vikki, the Head of the OSCE Office in Tajikistan took part in the meetings.

The Representative also had a separate meeting with BBC reporter Urunboi Usmanov and Nuri Zindagi correspondent Mahmadyusuf Ismoilov, both of whom were recently released from jail, as well as with Hikmatullo Saifullozoda, a newspaper editor-in-chief who had been attacked earlier this year.

OSCE

Religion research grants for journalists open [Worldwide]

Journalists interested in writing long-form stories about religion can apply for a two-year grant of up to US$50,000.

The Social Science Research Council invites proposals on the study of prayer and the significance of prayerful practices in contemporary culture and society.

Print journalists must produce three to five 5000-word articles for publication or a book-length manuscript. Broadcast journalists must produce projects of similar scope.

Applicants must first submit a short bio, work sample and three-page letter of intent describing the proposed project by December 1. Journalists with the most promising projects will be contacted to submit a complete project proposal.

For more information, click here: http://www.ssrc.org/programs/new-directions-in-the-study-of-prayer/

http://ijnet.org/opportunities/religion-research-grants-journalists-open-worldwide

Freed Turkmen Journalist Says International Pressure Aided Release

An RFE/RL reporter in Turkmenistan who was amnestied last month from a five-year jail term says international support helped free him, RFE/RL’s Turkmen Service reports.

Dovletmyrat Yazkuliyev told RFE/RL in an interview that the «international pressure, especially by U.S. [senators] and efforts by the U.S. State Department, played a big role in my release. I am very thankful to them.»

He said he thinks another reason he was freed from prison is because «there were some high-level government and security officials [in Turkmenistan] who knew that I was being kept in prison on fake charges and they understood it would damage the image of the country» to keep him jailed.

Yazkuliyev was sentenced to five years in prison in early October after being found guilty of «encouraging a relative’s suicide attempt.» Family members said they had been forced by police to sign statements against him, and that their efforts to retract those statements were ignored in the trial that ensued.

He was officially released on October 26 under what officials said was a general presidential amnesty to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Turkmenistan’s independence.

Yazkuliyev’s family and supporters said the case against him was retaliation for Yazkuliyev’s outspoken investigative reporting, including coverage of deadly explosions at a weapons depot near Ashgabat in July, which were downplayed by the official Turkmen media.

Yazkuliyev’s trial and sentence drew widespread condemnation from media-rights groups, including Paris-based Reporters Without Borders (RSF) and the U.S.-based Committee to Protect Journalists, and prompted four senior U.S.senators to express their concern in a letter to the Turkmen ambassador in Washington.

«I was not physically abused while I was in prison, but I lost my health from the strong psychological pressure that I faced there,» he told RFE/RL. «Now I cannot sleep more than three to four hours a day.»

Yazkuliyev added that the head of the Kaka district police department, district prosecutor Ilmurad Babaev, and others who interrogated him «did not talk about the charges and official accusations they made [against me], but they were very interested in my work with RFE/RL.»

Yazkuliyev has been threatened several times by Turkmen officials in recent years because of his work as a journalist.

RFE/RL President Steve Korn after Yazkuliyev’s release called him «the victim of policies in Turkmenistan that are aggressively hostile to media freedom» and said «the international community must continue to condemn efforts to silence free speech.»

In 2006, RFE/RL Turkmen correspondent Ogulsapar Muradova died in prison shortly after her arrest, prompting international demands for an investigation that never took place. Family members who saw her body before burial said it bore signs of torture and abuse.

http://rus.ozodi.org/

Uzbek Newspaper Stops Publishing

A prominent Uzbek newspaper has announced that it has suspended publication, RFE/RL’s Uzbek Service reports.

Bakhodyr Yuldashev, the chief editor of the Russian-language «Zerkalo XXI» («Mirror XXI»), told RFE/RL that the paper has stopped publishing due to financial difficulties.

«We have suspended publishing the newspaper,» he said from Tashkent on November 4. «We haven’t given up the license… [and] hopefully we will come back early next year [and resume publishing] once we are on our feet again.»

The newspaper, which was founded in 1990, was one of a few media outlets in Uzbekistan that covered important social and economic issues in the country.

«Any of our readers can confirm that we have had tons of critical reports [in our newspaper],» Yuldashev said. «And no one likes criticism, you know? As Uzbeks say, ‘even your father doesn’t like to hear criticism.'»

Yuldashev added that two other newspapers that he runs, «Novosti Uzbekistana» («News Of Uzbekistan») and «Wedding-Toyona» («Wedding-Dowry»), continue to operate.

Another employee at «Zerkalo XXI,» who spoke to RFE/RL on condition of anonymity, said that the newspaper has had problems with the state licensing committee for publishing several advertisements that the committee said were «illegal.» He added that he thinks this may be the reason for the publication’s closure.

But Yuldashev told RFE/RL that «Zerkalo XXI» has not been fined or been told by officials that there were any problems with the newspaper’s content.

All media outlets in Uzbekistan are either fully owned and controlled by the government or carefully monitored and censored by it.

Uzbek authorities have shut down all relatively independent newspapers such as «Odamlar Orasida» («Among People»), «Munosabat» («Reaction»), «Mohiyat» («Essence»), and many others that cited financial difficulties in closing or were shut down after being charged with violating procedures for publishing ads.

«Zerkalo XXI» is owned by the Media Business company.

http://www.rferl.org/content/uzbek_newspaper_stops_publishing/24384444.html

Kazakh Journalist Convicted Of Libeling Police

ALMATY, Kazakhstan — A Kazakh journalist has received an 18-month «restricted freedom» sentence after being found guilty of libel by an Almaty court, RFE/RL’s Kazakh Service reports.

Valery Surganov was also ordered by the court to pay a 100,000-tenge ($665) fine, publicly apologize to «Kazakh society,» and issue a «corrected version» of his article.

Under his «restricted freedom» sentence, Surganov is forbidden from leaving Almaty and is restricted from entering public places.

Surganov was sued by financial police in the northern Pavlodar Oblast for the second part of his article «The Knights of the Financial Police,» which was issued on the opposition guljan.org website this summer.

The investigative article alleged malfeasance by financial police in Astana. A criminal case against Surganov was launched on July 20 after the deputy chief of the Pavlodar Oblast financial police, Sanzhar Aliev, sued him for libel.

Some media in Kazakhstan alleged that Aliev’s suit against Surganov was caused by a power struggle between the Committee for National Security (KNB) and the financial police.

But guljan.org chief editor Gulzhan Ergalieva told RFE/RL those allegations «are absolutely baseless.»

Surganov pleaded not guilty. He said in court on November 7 he planned to appeal the verdict.

http://www.rferl.org/content/kazakh_journalist_convicted_of_libeling_police/24384041.html

Tajik Teachers, Farmers ‘Forced To Subscribe’ To State Newspapers

KULOB, Tajikistan — Schoolteachers and farmers in the southern Tajik city of Kulob are complaining that they have been forced to buy annual subscriptions to state newspapers, RFE/RL’s Tajik Service reports.

A teacher in Kulob named Firuz told RFE/RL on October 28 that officials from his school took 30 somonis from his monthly salary of 118 somonis ($25.1) to pay for annual subscriptions to official newspapers without asking him. Other teachers in the area have made similar complaints.

He said Kulob’s education department is forcing schools to subscribe to official newspapers like «Jumhuriyat,» «Sadoi Mardum,» «Omuzgor,» and others.

A farmer in Kulob named Rahmiddin told RFE/RL that the city’s tax department asked him to bring receipts of his annual subscriptions to official newspapers, reminding him that only after that will tax officials accept his tax return.

Rahmiddin said that every year farmers are asked to subscribe to newspapers, but that even when they pay they often never receive the newspapers they have subscribed to.

Iskandar Kamolov, the chairman of Kulob’s post office, said subscriptions to newspapers are «very important» and the Kulob’s mayor reminds city officials every Monday at weekly meetings to subscribe more people to state newspapers.

Mirzo Valiev, the head of Kulob’s boarding school No. 1, said that his school subscribes to 10 official newspapers.

Valiev noted that the school administration paid for four newspapers and the teachers at the school jointly subscribed to six others. He added that the joint subscription is not expensive and the newspapers help school officials and teachers to stay well informed about news and important events.

http://www.rferl.org/content/tajikistan_state_newspapers_forced_subscriptions/24376458.html