Tajik journalist receives award from Human Rights Watch

The US-based organization Human Rights Watch informs that the Tajik journalist Urunboi Usmonov has been awarded a 2012 Hellman-Hammett Grant.

Usmonov was nominated to this award by the National Association of Independent Media in Tajikistan (NANSMIT), as well as by a decision by the Hellman-Hammett selection committee.

The Hellman-Hammett grants assist writers who have suffered persecution as a result of their work, and are in financial need. In addition to offering individuals financial assistance, by highlighting individual cases, they are intended to help focus attention on repression of free expression.

The grant program is funded by the estate of the late American playwright Lillian Hellman. Ms. Hellman’s bequest was prompted by her experiences and those of her companion, the novelist Dashiell Hammett. Hellman and Hammett were both interrogated about their political beliefs and affiliations by congressional committees in the United States. Hellman suffered professionally and had trouble finding work for a number of years. Hammett served time in prison.

Human Rights Watch

Legal Proceedings Brought Against Afghan TV Channels

KABUL — The Afghan Ministry of Culture and Information has brought legal proceedings against two popular entertainment television channels.

The ministry said Setara TV and Saba TV had broadcast «inappropriate» content, including «revealing» foreign music videos.

The ministry said the content violated a new media law, which bans programs that are deemed an affront to Afghan culture.

The ministry did not provide further details, including whether the channels would stop broadcasting while proceedings were under way.

In related news, Afghan journalists have boycotted sessions of the lower house of parliament, saying the sessions were being censored by the government.

Previously, journalists viewed sessions from behind a glass partition while they received a live feed.

Reporters say they now receive a distorted feed that cuts out controversial remarks and incidents involving lawmakers.

http://www.rferl.org/content/legal-proceedings-brought-against-afghan-tv-channels/24703805.html

Statement by Ambassador Kelly on the Situation in Tajikistan

Representative to the United States Mission to the OSCE Permanent Council, Ambassador Ian Kelly

Vienna, Austria

2012-09-07

Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

The United States recalls its statement of July 26 about violence in the Gorno-Badakshan Autonomous Region of Tajikistan. We note that the situation is calmer, but that tensions remain and a large number of security forces are still deployed to the region. We encourage the Tajik authorities to allow access to Gorno-Badakshan for international organizations and diplomatic missions. Given its mandate for early warning and conflict prevention, the OSCE could play an important role in assisting the Tajik authorities.

In addition, the United States calls on the Tajik authorities to ensure transparent and impartial investigations into the recent killings of a leader of the Gorno-Badakshan branch of the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan, Mr. Sabzali Mamadrizoev and the former field commander of the United Tajik Opposition, Mr. Imumnazar Imomnazarov.

We call for due legal process to be followed in any trials of those detained as a result of recent events, and strongly urge Tajikistan to fulfill its OSCE commitments by conducting transparent investigations of the incidents that have occurred at the border, and guaranteeing the rights of detainees, including access to legal counsel, humane treatment, and fair trial.

We reiterate our call for Tajikistan to abide by its OSCE commitments to respect human rights and fundamental freedoms, including the protection of freedom of expression and the free flow of information at all times. A number of websites in Tajikistan remain blocked. We recall the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media’s statement of July 27 when she noted that “blocking is a restriction on free media and, most importantly, deprives citizens of their right to know, to receive and impart information about developments in their own country.” The United States calls on the Tajik authorities to lift these restrictions.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

HumanRights.gov

Источник: http://www.humanrights.gov/2012/09/07/statement-by-ambassador-kelly-on-the-situation-in-tajikistan/?

Knight course on energy reporting open

Journalists interested in environmental reporting can apply for a spot in this course.

The Knight Science Journalism program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is accepting applications for its 2012 Energy and Climate Boot Camp, which will take place at MIT’s campus in Cambridge December 5-7.

Ten to 12 journalists will be chosen to attend the course. Those selected will be reimbursed for up to US$750 in travel expenses, and will be provided accommodations and most meals.

The boot camp will explore topics from the latest solar power research, such as the artificial leaf and wearable solar panels, to the mechanics of climate models. Course leaders will discuss the intersection of science and politics, and the question of whether leaders have begun to turn their backs on science and progress in challenging political times.

Applicants may be freelance or staff reporters, writers, editors or producers, and must have at least three years of full-time experience in journalism.

The application deadline is October 12.

For more information, click here: http://ksj.mit.edu/fellowships/boot-camps/medical-evidence-boot-camp-fall-2012

http://ksj.mit.edu/fellowships/boot-camps/medical-evidence-boot-camp-fall-2012

Fellowship on cultural journalism accepting applications

Journalists worldwide can apply for a one-month fellowship in Colombia.

La Fundación Nuevo Periodismo Iberoamericano and the Ministerio de Cultura de Colombia are offering the Gabriel García Márquez scholarship on cultural reporting.

The fellowship will take place January 7-27 of 2013 in Cartagena de Indias and Barranquilla. Participants will receive training on cultural reporting, and will have the chance to report and produce their own stories.

Twenty journalists will be selected. Applicants must be fluent in English, have at least three years of experience and have published stories in print or digital media.

Applicants should submit an 800-word autobiography in English, Spanish or Portuguese, with emphasis in the applicant’s experience in cultural reporting; a letter from the applicant’s employer specifying that the news outlet will publish the pieces produced during the fellowship; and a long-form piece published within the last year.

The application deadline is October 2.

For more information, click here: http://www.fnpi.org/actividades/2012/the-gabriel-garcia-marquez-fellowship-in-cultural-journalism/

http://www.fnpi.org/actividades/2012/the-gabriel-garcia-marquez-fellowship-in-cultural-journalism/

EU statement on Tajikistan

EUROPEAN UNION

OSCE Permanent Council Nr 923

Vienna, 6 September 2012

The European Union recalls its statement of 26 July about tensions in the Gorno-Badakshan Autonomous Region of Tajikistan.

We remain concerned about the situation and urge the Tajik authorities to allow early access to the region for international organizations and diplomatic missions. Given its mandate for early warning and conflict prevention and its broad field presence in Tajikistan, the OSCE could play an important role in assisting the Tajik authorities.

We call on the Tajik authorities to ensure transparent investigations into the recent killings of the Head of the Gorno-Badakshan branch of the Islamic Revival Party of Tajikistan, Mr Sabzali Mamadrizoev and the former field commander of the United Tajik Opposition, Mr Imumnazar Imumnazarov. We call for due legal process to be followed in any trials of those detained as a result of recent events.

A number of websites in Tajikistan remain blocked. We recall the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media’s statement of 27 July when she noted that “blocking is a restriction on free media and, most importantly, deprives citizens of their right to know, to receive and impart information about developments in their own country”. The EU calls on the Tajik authorities to lift these restrictions to allay any misunderstandings that inevitably emerge when access to information is restricted.

www.eeas.europa.euu/delegations/vienna

National Endowment for Democracy journalism fellowships open

Experienced journalists worldwide who wish to learn more about democracy can apply for a fellowship.

The Washington-based National Endowment for Democracy (NED) invites journalists to apply to be part of the 2013-2014 Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program. This federally funded program enables democracy activists, practitioners, scholars and journalists to deepen their understanding of democracy and enhance their ability to promote democratic change. Selected applicants will be in residence at the National Endowment for Democracy in either Fall 2013 (October 1, 2013–February 28, 2014) or Spring 2014 (March 1–July 31, 2014).

The program is intended primarily to support practitioners, scholars and journalists from developing and aspiring democracies; but distinguished scholars from established democracies may also apply. Projects may focus on the political, social, economic, legal and cultural aspects of democratic development and may include a range of methodologies and approaches.

All fellows receive a monthly fellowship payment, health insurance, travel assistance at the beginning and end of their fellowship, and research support. Awardees my not receive concurrent funding from the Endowment or its family of institutes during the fellowship period. The program does not fund professional training, fieldwork or students working towards a degree. A working knowledge of English is required.

The application deadline is October 15.

For more information, click here: http://www.ned.org/fellowships/reagan-fascell-democracy-fellows-program

http://www.ned.org/fellowships/reagan-fascell-democracy-fellows-program