In May 2013, the Monitoring Service received 23 reports. Ten of them describe the factual situation in the media in the light of social, legal and political environment and thirteen reports describe direct violations of rights of media professionals.
I. POLITICAL, SOCIAL, ADMINISTRATIVE AND LEGAL ENVIRONMENT DEFINING THE FACTUAL SITUATION IN THE MEDIA
1. Statements and actions of public officials defining the factual status of the mass media
Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary General, New York
“Celebrating the World Press Day, let us promise to do everything depending on us so that journalists of all media could perform their work”, — said Ban Ki-moon, the UN Secretery General.
“The topic of the World Press Day this year is “To speak the truth with no fear: to ensure the freedom of speech in all mass media”, and this is the evidence of a necessity to take measures and confirm the right of journalists to perform their vitally important work”, — the statement says.
The statement also describes numerous incidents and attacks on media professionals all around the World. Governments, corporations and criminals want to shut them down, to introduce censorship; they intimidate journalists.
More than 600 journalists have been killed in the last decade; more than 120 journalists – only during the last year. Hundreds of journalists have been arrested. Influential forces apply various means: physical attacks, cyber hounding, etc.
Journalists working for traditional mass media as well as their colleagues publishing their articles in social networks and blogs find themselves in risk zones more and more frequently. The United Nations has endorsed a plan on protecting journalists. The purpose of this plan is to strengthen public awareness and ensure practical measures on creating safe environment for media professionals.
3 May
Catherine Ashton, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs & Security Policy/Vice-President of the European Commission, Brussels
Catherine Ashton, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs & Security Policy/Vice-President of the European Commission published a statement on the occasion of the World Press Day on behalf of the European Union.
Inter alia, the statement says the following: “Celebrating the 20-th anniversary of the World Press Day, the European Union pays a tribute to journalists all over the World, expressing respect to those who sometimes bear personal losses in the line of duty while covering events or expressing their thoughts.
The free, independent and dynamic media are indispensable in any democratic society. The European Union is determined to fight for the freedom of press all over the World. We condemn intimidations, violence and censorship, which journalists face in many countries.
The freedom of expression must be protected in traditional mass media, as well as in the Internet. The European Union will continue to support the freedom of expression in the online mode and in the autonomous mode; new technologies can become crucial in promoting human rights and democracy. The European Union will continue to condemn violations of the freedom of expression so that journalists all over the World would freely perform their professional duties.
May 2
Nuriddin Karshiboev, chairman of NANSMIT, Dushanbe
The chairman of the Tajik National Association of Independent Mass Media (NANSMIT) called on journalists to restrain from cooperating with Radio Ozodi (the Tajik service of Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty).
“On 22 April, Radio Ozodi dissolved the labor agreement with Abdukayum Auybzod in a unilateral procedure, which contravenes the Tajik legislation. We want to ensure observance of rights for Tajik media professionals. I apply to journalists and experst seeking their support for Abdukayum Auybzod who has made so much for Radio Ozodi”, — said Karshiboev.
May 04
All media, Dushanbe
Makhmudjon Saraev, senior specialist of the President’s Office information-analytical department told journalists at a press conference about the implementation of the President’s Decree “On measures to be taken by public officials in response to criticism in the media”.
The official said that even before the Decree was endorsed, most of the government institutions had their press offices in charge of contacts with the media. At the level of administrative centers and towns, the functions of press secretaries are performed by deputies of heads of municipalities.
The Decree issued in February 2009, pursues the goal of constructive cooperation between ministries, enterprises, executive authorities and the mass media.
May 5
Rakhmatillo Zoirov, chairman of the Social-democratic Party, Dushanbe
The Social-democratic Party of Tajikistan has supported the initiative of a number of media organizations to boycott the activities of Radio Ozodi (Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty) in the country.
The media organizations called on journalists and experts to stop communicating with the radio station until its managers resolve the issue of labor contract with Abdukayumi Ayubzod.
Rakhmatillo Zoirov, chairman of SDPT told the media that Radio Ozodi, which is financed by the US government, does not observe democratic requirements and fails to protect the rights of its employees.
In this regard, SDPT intends to send an official letter to the US embassy in Dushanbe with a request to assist in solving this issue.
2. Journalists protecting their civil and professional rights
2 May
All media
The Tajik media community declared boycott to Radio Ozodi (Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty). According to the Millat weekly (#18, 01.05.2013), the boycott will continue until Abdukayum Ayubzod, the correspondent of Radio Ozodi is restored to his former position in a judicial proceeding.
The boycott was supported by the National Association of Independent Mass Media, by the Media Council and the Media Alliance of Tajikistan.
3 May
All media, Dushanbe
At a National Conference on the occasion of the International Free Press Day organized by the Tajik Media Council under support of the OSCE Office in Dushanbe, participants voiced an initiative on transferring Articles 330 and 137 (“insult of public officials” and “public insult of the President”, respectively) from the Criminal Code to the Civil Code.
Junaid Ibodov, the well-known Tajik legal expert said that the decriminalization of Articles 135 and 136 of the Tajik Criminal Code (related to “defamation” and “libel”) caused “premature euphoria”. “Article 330 remains the main “enemy” of the freedom of speech and expression. Applying this Article, public officials can continue persecuting journalists”, — he said.
3. Factual situation in the media and the freedom of speech
4 May
Freedom House, the US non-governmental organization
The US NGO Freedom House published its annual report describing and analyzing the freedom of the media in 2012 around the World.
The report covers 197 countries grouped by the following categories: free countries (from 0 to 30 points); moderately free (from 31 to 60 points) and constrained (from 61 to 100 points).
Tajikistan has “gained” 79 points, “lagging behind” Russia by one point.
17 May
All media
Foreign human rights watchdogs and media organizations jointly with the Tajik National Association of Mass Media (NANSMIT) issued an public statement asking Mr. Kevin Klose, the acting director of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty to set up an independent commission for studying the situation in the Kazakh, Tajik, Turkmen and Uzbek services of RFE/RL.
The statement issued on 15 May, says that the crisis within Radio Liberty leads to limitations in the freedom of the media in Central Asia. Reports of the Kazakh and Turkmen services duplicate publications of the government media. The shortwave broadcasting on Uzbekistan has essentially reduced; labor rights of the Kazakh and Tajik correspondents are repeatedly violated.
“RFE/RL is a medium, which should be a major conductor of democratic values, but the violation of labor rights and infringement of the international standards of the media freedom cause concern among journalists and human rights activists”, — the statement says.
II. VIOLATION OF RIGHTS IN THE MEDIA
1. Protection of labor rights
2 May
Khurshedi Khamdam, head of Radio Ozodi, Dushanbe
Khurshedi Khamdam, head of the Tajik bureau of Radio Ozodi told the ImruzNews weekly (#71, 29.04.2013) that he was trying his best to reinstate Abdukayum Ayubzod in the position of correspondent.
“Regrettably, nothing depends on me. The Tajik foreign ministry does not want to prolong his accreditation, and thus, we had to terminate the labor agreement with him”, — said Khamdam.
15 May
Abdukayum Ayubzod, journalist, Dushanbe
The case of Abdukayum Ayubzod, correspondent of Radio Ozodi will be investigated by the Ismoili Somoni district court in Dushanbe.
Faizinisso Vokhodova, the lawyer representing her client told journalists that they intend to demand reinstatement of Ayubzod in his former position and compensation of the salaries, which he did not received while he was illegally suspended from duties.
2. Unlawful limitation of access to information
7 May
Nahzat.tj, web site of PIRT, Dushanbe
The Party of Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan (PIRT) sent an official letter to Beg Zukhurov, head of the government communication service asking the official to explain the reasons of blocking the Party’s web site – www.Nahzat.tj
Access to the web site has been blocked since 25 April. According to Saidumar Khusaini, representative of PIRT and member of the Tajik parliament, the domestic Internet providers do not comment on that either.
After a while, PIRT received an official response signed by the head of Communication Service saying that his agency has not given any errands to the Internet providers. “It might be feasible to contact the Internet provider with whom you are having an agreement”, — Zukhurov said in his letter.
PIRT considers this response illogical. The Party has an agreement with one particular company – Babilon-T. But the problems exist with other providers – ТСеll, Beeline, Megafon, Saturn Online, Istera, and others.
It would not be logical either to conclude contracts with the Internet providers. PIRT says that access to the web site is blocked only on the territory of Tajikistan. PIRT has also stated that it will apply to the court unless the problem is resolved in the near future.
15 May
Ozodagon news agency, Dushanbe
The Samak weekly (#20, 15 May 2013) published an article titled “What Beg Zukhurov can tell?”, raising the issue of access to the web site of the Party of Islamic Renaissance of Tajikistan (PIRT) and the web site of the Ozodagon news agency.
Referring to the executive director of Ozodagon, Samak says that independent experts cannot establish the reasons for blocking the web sites. Beg Zukhurov is a very peculiar public official; usuallyб he is quite reluctant to comment on his decisions affecting access to online sources of information.
16 May
Zvezda, Russian radio station, Dushanbe
On 3 May, the 201-st Russian Motorized Division deployed in Tajikistan terminated the broadcasting of Radio Zvezda (Asia Plus weekly, #33, 06.05.2013).
Deputy head of the Tajik State Broadcasting Committee Samad Khikmatov told Asia Plus that the Russian military division maintained illegal rebroadcasting of a foreign electronic medium. According to the official, Tajikistan cannot give a broadcasting license to foreign citizens.
21 May
www.kplus-tv.net – web site of the K Plus TV
Access to the recorded TV programs on the web site belonging to the K Plus TV channel is blocked. The first deputy head of the Tajik government communication service Rafikjon Shokirov told the Ozodagon weekly that his agency has nothing to do with this technical problem.
The communication service denies its relation to the blocking of the web site. It should be noted that the web site was blocked after a TV program (on 19 May) depicting the festive wedding of Rustam Emomali, the son of the Tajik president Emomali Rakhmon. The video segments were accompanied by comments of the Tajik oppositionist Dodojon Atovulloev.
27 May
Video portal YouTube
According to Asomiddin Atoev, chairman of the Tajik National Association of Internet Providers, access to the popular online portal YouTube has been blocked since 27 May. Only one of the six domestic Internet providers has not blocked access to YouTube.
“We asked Beg Zukhurov, the head of the government communication service about the reason for blocking. Neither the official, nor his deputies are willing to to comment on that; but the Internet providers received a written errand from the communication agency”, — said Atoev.
This is the third blocking of YouTube in Tajikistan since July 2012.
29 May
K Plus TV
The Tajik government communication service has been jamming the K Plus TV channel broadcasting from the territory of Kazakhstan.
The communication agency officials deny their relation to the jamming, adding that “…the problems of broadcasting as well as access to the K Plus web site are “internal technical problems” of the TV channel”.
4. Unlawful summoning of journalist
27 May
Ramziya Mirzobekova, Asia Plus weekly, Dushanbe
On 27 May, the State National Security Committee summoned Ramziya Mirzobekova, correspondent of the popular weekly Asia Plus “for an interview”.
According to Mirzobekova, she required the Committee to send her an official subpoena. The subpoena was delivered a few days later. On her personal Facebook page, the journalist shared details of the conversation with law enforcement officials. The national security officers asked her about her professional activities, and at the end of the conversation, stated that her publications in Asia Plus can jeopardize the national security – referring to articles about the recent developments in the city of Khorog, the administrative center of Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Province.
Mirzobekova was also questioned with regard to her affiliation to the recently established Coalition for Democracy and Civil Society. The national security official reminded her that in the early 1990-s, such “organizations” brought the country to the civil war.
On her Facebook page, the journalist also described “friendly conversations” practiced by law enforcement agencies as intimidation and violation of the freedom of expression.